Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oh My Strawberry Goodness

Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream


I made these pink and green to celebrate one of my best girlfriend's birthday

Strawberry Cupcakes

1 box white cake mix (I always Duncan Hines)
3 T. all purpose flour
1 (3 oz.) box sugar-free strawberry jello
1 c. canola oil
½ c. milk
4 large eggs
½ c. crushed strawberries – chop these in a mini food processor until almost a puree

Preheat the oven to 350° and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Mix cake mix, flour, and jello. Add the oil, milk, eggs, and strawberries, mixing at low speed until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Beat the batter for 3 more minutes on medium speed.

Pour the batter into muffin pans so that they are about half full.

Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes, or until the tops are springy to the touch.

Vanilla Buttercream
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3 T. milk, cold
3 t. vanilla extract
6-7 c. powdered sugar

Using a mixer (I use my stand mixer), beat the butter at medium speed until creamy.

Add 1/3 of the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on low speed until incorporated. Then add the next 1/3 of the powdered sugar and the milk, 1 T. at a time, until incorporated. Finish mixing in the milk and powdered sugar.

The buttercream should be quite white and fluffy. Add as much powdered sugar as needed, depending the desired consistency and sweetness.

Assembly:
Remove the muffins from the muffin pan after 5 minutes, and let them cool completely on a wire rack.

Put the buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a round tip. Push the icing down to the bottom of the bag, and then twist the bag above the icing to reduce any bubbles. (Before piping the icing onto the cupcake, squirt some back in the bowl, because there might be bubbles and you don’t want to waste a cupcake with ugly icing!)

To ice, squeeze the icing onto the cupcake, starting from the outside and go around and up in a circular motion.

**For the pink and green cupcakes, I used ¾ of the icing for the pink and the other ¼ for the green. To reach the pink color, I used red food coloring until I reached the pink that I wanted. For the green, I used green food coloring, and a couple drops of yellow. I folded the color in with a spatula, so that the icing didn’t get overworked. I used the piping bag fit with the larger round tip for the pink, and then another piping bag fit with a small round tip for the green icing.

TIP: These cupcakes are a perfectly pink color, and would be quite fitting for any girly event: baby shower, bachelorette party, bridal shower, etc. I also used them for a cook-out (co-ed) and they were a huge hit!

Sans Food Coloring (these were for the cookout)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, if those are the same cupcakes you made for my baby shower, then they ROCK! Cannot wait to make them myself though I'm sure they won't be nearly as tasty. All hail the cupcake queen:)

    ReplyDelete