Thursday, September 3, 2009

Island-Inspired Mahi Mahi and a New Version of Spinach Salad

Not my prettiest meal, and ignore the fact that the plate needed to be wiped down on the edge, but it was delish!

Plating dinner. Please excuse my work out wear and our bare kitchen-work in progress.
Delish Note: In a more professional atmosphere, I would certainly wear gloves.

This meal is right up my alley…simple, yet healthy with Asian and “island” accents. Todd and I love spinach, and have found many ways to incorporate it into our dinners. I have made multiple versions of spinach salad, and this is one of my new favorites! Spinach is considered a Superfood, because it is low in calories, but very rich in nutrients. Onions are also healthy – they contain flavanols, a type of antioxidant. The sesame oil has some fat, but it is a healthier fat, and this recipe contains a minimal amount. Fish is also something that we eat often because it is lean and low in calories and saturated fat, compared with other proteins. Broiling food is super-quick, and super-easy – just keep a close eye on the oven!

Spinach Salad with Broiled Red Onion Rings and Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette


½ large red onion, cut crosswise into (1/4-inch-thick) rings
1 teaspoon sesame oil, divided
2 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 ½ teaspoons honey
¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
4 cups baby spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash salt, optional

Preheat the broiler.

Arrange onion on a sheet pan or broiler pan covered with aluminum foil, and sprayed with cooking spray. Brush onion with ½ teaspoon sesame oil. Broil onions between 6-9 minutes, or until browned and tender on an oven rack set a couple of inches below the heat.


Combine remaining ½ teaspoon oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger, and honey in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Place spinach in a large bowl and toss gently with dressing. Plate the spinach, and then top with onions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

(I also served this with a broiled lemon slice for some extra color, but this is completely optional)
CALORIES 50; FAT 2g IRON 2mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 53mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.1g; PROTEIN 1.7g; FIBER 2g

(The original recipe of this was from Cooking Light, but I changed it some by altering the dressing, broiling the onions instead of grilling them – but grilling would be really nice, also. I also changed the salt. When I made it, I eliminated the salt, but that is up to you!)

Broiled Mahi Mahi with Ginger-Lime Butter
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 ½ tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and minced
1 ½ teaspoon lime rind, grated
½ teaspoon powdered ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
3 (5-ounce) mahi mahi fillets, skin removed
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon chili powder
Cooking spray
Lime wedges (optional)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Cover and chill.

Preheat the broiler.

Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and black pepper. Cover a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Add fish to pan; broil 5-8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.

Place the filets on plates, and top with 1-2 teaspoons of the butter mixture while the fish is still warm.

Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

CALORIES 200; FAT 6.5g CARBOHYDRATE 0.2g; PROTEIN 34g

(This idea also came from Cooking Light, but I made some changes – go figure! I used Mahi Mahi instead of Red Snapper, but many types of fish would work. I have made this with salmon and tilapia, also. I think it would be great with snapper, shrimp, or even chicken! [NOTE: If you use chicken, marinate it or season it earlier in the day with ginger, orange juice, chili powder, white wine, black pepper] I reduced the salt, added chili powder (for color and smokiness)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks and sounds amazing. I'm going to have to try it out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so so good! Maybe I can get over my fear of touching fish long enough to appease my stomach :) Great job, Linds!

    ReplyDelete